- The Clarendon Way Marathon (Laverstoke/Salisbury to Winchester) - starting at 10:30hrs (earlier start of 8:30hrs for walkers and 9:30hrs for very slow runners). Cost £25.00.
- The Clarendon Way Half Marathon (Broughton to Winchester) - starting at 12:15hrs. Cost £20.00.
- The Clarendon Way Relay x4 Marathon (Laverstok/Salisbury to Winchester) - starting at 10:30hrs. Cost £58.00.
The Full Marathon starts from Wyvern College, Laverstoke, Salisbury (SP1 1RE). The run mainly follows the Clarendon Way setting off through the Clarendon Estate and then on through the villages of Pitton, Winterslow and Broughton. Broughton is the midway point where the Half Marathon runners join the course. From here the route takes you through to Houghton and then across the River Test to Kings Somborne, then on up to Farley Mount, down through the woods and eventually on to the finish at Kings' School, Winchester. The route is mostly off-road, is tough and challenging but possibly one of the most scenic races you'll ever enter.
The full marathon starts at 10:30am. Marathon runners should aim to reach the half marathon start point in Broughton in less than 2hrs 45mins i.e. by 13:15pm. Runners who have not reached this point by then will be asked to take the transport to the finish at Kings' School.
There is also an option to make an early start at Wyvern School at 8:30am or 9:30am (instead of 10:30am) if you are planning to walk the route or jog very slowly (please let us know when you book if you require an early start). Participants can only take the early start time if they are very slow and anticipate arriving at Winchester after 3:00pm but no later than 4:00pm. There are no prizes applicable for early starters. If you are a fast runner please do not take the early start as the marshals and the various support teams will not be in place.
Busses are available pre-race and post-race depending on your requirements however please note that there are no pre-race busses available for the early starters. Early starters will need to transport themselves to Laverstoke, run the course to Winchester, then take the post-race bus.
The first runners are expected to arrive at the finish line at Kings School in Winchester at approx 1:15pm. We hope that all the runners (and strollers and walkers) will complete the course by 4.00pm at the very latest.
The Half Marathon starts at 12:15pm in the picturesque village of Broughton, and continues along the marathon course to finish at Kings' School in Winchester. An earlier start is not possible in Broughton.
Relay marathon (x4)
The Relay Marathon follows the same course as the full marathon. It comprises a four-stage relay, each leg being an average of 6.5 miles in length. The relay marathon starts at 10.30am. Teams can be all male or all female or mixed sex. Please remember to collect your 'batton' (wrist band) from registration before the race - one per team. This is to be passed on to the next runner at each transition point. The relay change over points are as follows (click for maps):
- Start from Wyvern College, Salisbury - SP1 1RE
- The first changeover in Middle Winterslow at OS Grid ref 237 329
- The second changeover is at Broughton at OS Grid ref 309 330 (note, this is not the start point for the half marathon)
- The third changeover is is at Farley Mount Country Park car park (near the monument) OS Grid ref 407 293
- The finish is at the Kings' School in Winchester. OS Grid ref 458 291
To help reduce road traffic congestion in the Middle Winterslow area can we ask all support personel to please enter via the A30, Firs Road, The St, The Plantation, The Sports Ground. When leaving, please do not exit by going further into Winterslow along Middleton. Instead please exit by reversing your journey back along The Plantation, The St and then up to the A30. Once you are on the A30 you will be able to travel east and then take the B3084 down into Broughton.
You can see the marathon route by clicking here.
Drink stations are located at the following locations. In the past these have been good places for spectators to see the runners but due to the traffic congestion in the area we are now asking spectators not to drive around the course hoping to see their friends.
- Station 1 - Clarendon Estate, GR181301.
- Station 2 - Pitton Village Hall, GR213312.
- Station 3 - Winterslow Recreation Ground, GR237328.
- Station 4 - Buckholt Farm, GR277322.
- Station 5 - Broughton, Rectory Lane, GR308330.
- Station 6 - Houghton, GR338316.
- Station 7 - Kings Somborne, Near The Old Vicarage, GR361311.
- Station 8 - Farley Mount Monument, GR407292.
- Station 9 - Ham Green, Near the Cattery, GR435306.
- Station 10 - Pincent Scout Camp Entrance, GR451297.
Click here for further information.
Are you looking for a pre-event for training?
If you would like to tackle some other races in the Salibury and Winchester areas, why not consider some of the following:
Alresford 10K race and fun runs. Sunday 16 June 2013. www.alresfordrotary.co.uk/alresford-10k
Micheldever to Sutton Scotney Fun Run (4.8 miles, 7.8 km) Saturday 29 June http://www.grattontrust.co.uk/?q=node/11
Pedal Paddle Pace, a triathlon where participants cycle, run, and kayak their way through the highways and waterways around Winchester. Pedal 20km, pace 5km, paddle 2km. This will be held on Sunday 21 July 2013 at Palmer Field, Winchester. www.winchesterppp.co.uk
The Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 walk, or trail run is an event suited to all the family, with a choice of distances from 5km to the more demanding 42k/Marathon, or 50k Ultra. The routes will be over footpaths, bridleways and quiet country roads in the Salisbury area, part of which is on the Clarendon Way. Sunday 11 August. www.salisburyfirestation.info
Another local event is the Bounder, Sunday 15 September. This has a circular route starting and ending in Broughton. More information is available on the Bounder website www.thebounder.org.